Why should I have an eye examination?
An eye examination should be part of everyone’s normal health routine and is an important part of looking after your eyes, but it’s more than a simple test of your sight. Your optometrist is able to check your eye health and other general health issues during an eye examination and give advice.
Most people should have their eyes examined every two years, however you may need to have an examination more often depending on your age and medical history. If you are over 40 years old or at particular risk of developing eye conditions such as glaucoma, your optometrist will recommend how regularly you need to have an eye examination. Of course, if you have any problems with your eyes, or notice any changes in your sight, then you should see your optometrist too.
Here are some important reasons to have a regular eye examination and look after your eyes:
- It can detect early signs of eye conditions before you notice them.
- It can also detect other general health problems.
- Good vision helps you work and play safely and comfortably. It leads to a better quality of life.
- Your eyes are the only pair you’ve got. If you lose your eyesight it may never be replaced.
- Unlike your teeth, your eyes do not usually hurt if there is something wrong .
Use the menu on the left to find out more about the eye examination.