Accessibility options
  • Change colour
  • Change text size
  • A
  • A
  • A

Most people are very happy with the services that are provided by their optical practice. However, things do occasionally go wrong. If you are dissatisfied with the service or conduct of your optometrist, you should try to resolve any difficulties directly with the practice. In most cases your problem will be successfully resolved. The General Optical Council has produced the leaflet What to expect from your optician, which you may find useful when discussing the problem with the practice.

If you are unable to reach an amicable agreement with your practice you can refer the matter to your local Trading Standards Officer, or local NHS organisation if you are an NHS patient. Alternatively, you may refer to one of the following bodies:

Optical Consumer Complaints Service (OCCS)
6 Market Square
Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire
CM23 3UZ
Tel: 0344 800 5071

If your complaint involves serious professional misconduct, send in a filled-in investigation form to:

Fitness to Practise team
The General Optical Council
41 Harley Street

Also see…