An orthoptist generally works with ophthalmologists in hospitals and in the community. They are concerned with eye problems relating to eye movements and the inability of the eyes to work together.

Examples of these problems are squint (strabismus), lazy eye (amblyopia) and double vision (diplopia). An orthoptist is registered with the Health Professions Council and their representative body is the British and Irish Orthoptic Society.

For further information on orthoptists and other eye health professions:

Find out more about a career in optometry.