Ophthalmic medical practitioner
Ophthalmic medical practitioners (OMPs) are medically qualified doctors specialising in eye care. Like optometrists, they examine eyes, test sight, diagnose abnormalities and prescribe suitable corrective lenses.
OMPs are registered with and regulated by the General Medical Council and their representative body is the British Medical Association (Ophthalmic Group).
There are currently around 600 registered ophthalmic medical practitioners in the UK.
For further information on eye health professions
- General Optical Council
- Association of British Dispensing Opticians
- General Medical Council
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- British and Irish Orthoptics Society
- Association of Optometrists