Dispensing opticians can fit and supply frames and lenses for glasses. They do this after taking account of each patient’s lifestyle and vocational needs.
They are also able to fit contact lenses after undergoing further specialist training. They are registered with and regulated by the General Optical Council and their representative body is the Association of British Dispensing Opticians.
There are currently around 5,300 of them qualified in the UK.
For further information on dispensing opticians and other eye health professions:
- General Optical Council
- Association of British Dispensing Opticians
- General Medical Council
- British Medical Association
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- British and Irish Orthoptics Society
- Association of Optometrists