What if I’m not happy with my service?

If you are dissatisfied with the service or conduct of your optometrist you should try to resolve any difficulties directly with the practice. In most cases your problem will be successfully resolved.

Some people have trouble getting used to their new glasses. This is more likely to happen if it is a long time since you had a new prescription, because a big change in prescription will take a while to get used to. You are most likely to get glasses you are happy with if you stick to the same optometrist or practice, because that means they can get to know what prescriptions and sorts of lenses you’re most happy with.

If you have your glasses made up (dispensed) by the same practice that did your eye exam, anything that you’re not happy with will be easier to sort out than if you have your glasses dispensed by someone else. See ‘Can I take my prescription elsewhere?‘.

The General Optical Council has produced the leaflet What to expect from your optician, which you may find useful.

If you are unable to reach an amicable agreement with your practice you can refer the matter to your local Trading Standards Officer or local NHS organisation via your practitioner (NHS patients only). Alternatively, you may refer to one of the following bodies:

Optical Consumer Complaints Service (OCCS)
6 Market Square
Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire
CM23 3UZ
Tel: 0844 800 5071

If your complaint involves serious professional misconduct, send in a filled-in investigation form to:

Fitness to Practise team
The General Optical Council
41 Harley Street