If you are handling, lighting or intend to be within close range of fireworks you should take precautions to protect your eyes. There are scores of eye injuries caused by fireworks every year which could be prevented by following safety advice.
Top tips for protection against fireworks
- Wear protective eye wear – normal glasses will not protect your eyes against most injuries. Wear polycarbonate lenses if you are going to be lighting fireworks.
- Buy fireworks that meet British Standards – ensure you buy them from a reputable retailer and that they confirm to British Standards, these will be marked BS 7114 on the box.
- Stand back – light your fireworks at arm’s length, using a taper and then stand well back.
- Do not give sparklers to children under the age of five.
- Stay clear of fireworks that have been lit – even if they haven’t gone off, keep your distance as it could still explode.
- Supervise children at all times – over half of firework injuries are suffered by children.